NCFE Certificate in
Understanding Nutrition & Health
Broadly comparable to SCQF Level 5
Enhance your understanding of key nutrition and health topics.
Why take this course?
The Department of Health policy on reducing obesity and improving diet notes that over 60% of adults and 30% of children are overweight or obese, and health problems associated with this cost the NHS over £5 billion per year.
This course is designed for a wide range of learners, who perhaps have some existing knowledge of nutrition and healthy eating. Parents, carers, catering staff and students may also find the topics covered of particular benefit.
The course will improve your understanding of nutrition and diet, the role it plays in improving and maintaining health and wellbeing, and how attitudes towards food can influence and impact on wellbeing. The objectives of this qualification are to:
- Give those who are working, or intending to work, in settings such as Sport and Recreation, Exercise and Fitness, Hospitality and Catering or Healthcare an understanding of nutrition and health to support their role in the workplace.
- Enable learners to progress to other qualifications in this subject area, or within the wider area of healthcare, sport and leisure, or hospitality and catering.
What you will experience
This qualification aims to:
- Increase understanding of the principles of healthy eating and the role of food in maintaining health
- Increase confidence in planning and achieving a healthy diet
- Provide an understanding of how an individual's dietary requirements change throughout their life
- Provide an understanding of food labelling and the ability to use information from food labels
- Provide information on eating disorders
- Increase understanding of the role of a healthy diet for weight management
To be awarded the NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Nutrition and Health, learners are required to successfully complete 5 mandatory units:
- Explore principles of healthy eating.
- Consider nutritional needs of a variety of individuals.
- Use food and nutrition information to plan a healthy diet.
- The principles of weight management.
- Understanding eating disorders.
Qualification number: QAN 600/9966/5
This course will require you to manage your workload independently, with a basic level of tutor support.
You may find it helpful to have achieved a level 1 Award in nutrition and health.
What you need to know
For more information about job opportunities, salaries and employment rates in this industry, visit the Career Coach website.
|115 Hours over 12 Months||£80.00||
|Paper applications only|
You must submit a paper application form for this course and return it to us completed and signed.
Completed forms should be returned to the following freepost address:
The Student Information & Admissions Manager
North East Scotland College
Aberdeen City Campus
UK AB25 1BN
Should you have any problems with your application, please contact the Student Advice Centre:
Telephone: 01224 612330
If you take up a place on a College course, at the start of the course you will be asked to sign an enrolment form. In signing the form and/or taking up a place on a College course, you will enter into a contract with the College and be bound by the North East Scotland College Standard Terms and Conditions of Study. Copies of the Terms and Conditions are available for inspection on notice boards and at various locations throughout the College, at the College Reception, on the College website: www.nescol.ac.uk, or can be obtained on request from the Student Funding and Admissions Manager, North East Scotland College, Aberdeen City Campus, Gallowgate, Aberdeen AB25 1BN. Please note that courses are offered subject to (a) there being sufficient numbers of enrolments and (b) the availability of resources. The College reserves its right (i) not to run courses where the number of students is considered insufficient or where resources are unavailable and (ii) in certain circumstances, to refuse admission to an individual applicant.